In a recent job listing, Avalanche Studios (The guys behind the popular Just Cause series) revealed that a third installment of the game could be coming our way. Although not officially confined, the listing reveals some interesting information that links back to that game. In the job posting Avalanche Studios is asking for a “Vehicle Designer that would design and tune many different vehicles which form a backbone to our next open world game”. Just Cause 2 was really successful and full of action, but what made it awesome was that it took a lot of hours to finish.
Below you can see the full Job Listing and you be the judge.
Vehicle Designer, New York
As a Vehicle Designer at Avalanche Studios, your work will be focused around what you like to do most: design and tune many different vehicles which form the backbone of our next open world game – that’s a variety of vehicles which extend far beyond traditional cars. Our vision is focused on player satisfaction and on innovation – our plan is to deliver stunning vehicles in terms of handling, physics simulation and destruction rendition. Something no open world to date has yet achieved. You will work in a multidisciplinary team, constantly interacting with programmers, artists, and other designers. You will also be expected to take ownership of our vehicle design, carry-on the overall vision with support and direction from the Lead Designer, ensuring we’re constantly aligned to the promise of delivering an over-the-top vehicle experience. To this extent, you’re also expected to drive an on-going competitive analysis to assess the quality and scope of the player experience against that of the competition. Notice that Avalanche Studios is developing for both current and next gen platforms; if you think you have the skills and you want to innovate in the field of vehicle design, this is the opportunity for you.
Required Qualifications (Please do not apply if you don’t fulfill the following)
- Passion for vehicles
- 3+ years industry experience as programmer or technical designer; at least 2 of these years spent on a vehicle programmer or vehicle designer position
- At least 1 shipped game on XBOX360, PS3, or PC
- Good understanding of physics and mathematics; experience in tuning physics-based vehicles
- Working experience giving high and low level design and technical feedback to other team members (as well as receiving feedback)
- You’re articulate, have strong conceptual skills and the ability to communicate your ideas visually and verbally
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically
- Experience from an open world title
- Experience with physics simulations
To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in New York.